Monday, February 4, 2008

A Call

I have to be honest, Abram's call always scared me, to my very soul. What if God ever asked me to do something, do something similar. Its just not something I felt I had the courage to do. I have to admit, I'm a coward. Every part of me wants to play it safe, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

In Genesis 12 we find God's call to Abram:
"The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.

2 "I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.

3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you. (Gen 12 1-3, NIV)"


God asked Abram to give up his home, his larger friends and family and his possessions for a promise. A promise of a great nation. A promise that Abram's name would be glorified. A promise that Abram would be a blessing to others. I think we can't question God is this. Clearly he lived up on his bargain. How greatly have me benefited from the fact that Abram simply heard and obeyed.

I have had a similar call on my life. I have moved my family away from our friends, our church family and our emotional safety. Unlike Abram I have it cushy, I have a job, a roof over my head, food to eat, I don't physically have to wander daily. Yet I feel now like I am wandering like Abram, emotionally and spiritually. I have fears and doubts. My insides cry over what I have lost and what I think I have lost. Still I believe as God kept his promises to Abram, he will bless me too for the fact that we left and have come to a new place, this Canaan of mine.

I hope I will be able to say proudly when this is all done: "Then you shall declare before the LORD your God: "My father was a wandering Aramean, and he went down into Egypt with a few people and lived there and became a great nation, powerful and numerous (Duet 26:5, NIV)."

No comments: